首先这两个词含义基本相同:指望、依赖、依靠
后接动名词、名词等;也可以接宾语+带to的不定式结构即宾语补足语结构。
Don’t rely on my (me) going to India.
Don’t rely on me to go to India.
别指望我去印度了。
He can rely on my support when the crunch comes
关键时刻,他可以依靠我的支持。
Can I rely on you to keep this secret?
我能相信你会保守这个秘密吗?
I know I can rely on you to sort it out
我相信你会把它解决好的。
Most working women rely on parents to help look after their children.
大多数职业女性都依靠父母来帮助照顾孩子。
We depend/ rely on him to help us meet deadlines.
我们指望他帮助我们按时完工。
It would be better to rely on ourselves than on others.
与其求人,何如求己。
Can you depend on her version of what happened?
你能相信她对所发生事情的描述吗?
You can depend on him to rise to the occasion, if need be.
如果需要的话,你可依靠他来应付这个局面。
The peasants depend on a good harvest for their very existence.
农民靠丰收才能活命。
Many adults still depend on their children to work the video.
很多成年人仍然要靠孩子来操作录像机。
'You can depend on me,' Cross assured him.
“你可以信赖我,”克罗斯向他保证。
Success doesn't only depend on what you do. What you don't do is equally important.
成功不仅仅在于你做了什么,你没有做什么也同样重要。
Children depend on their parents for food and clothing.
小孩依赖父母供给衣食。
He depends/relies on his mother's state pension.
他靠母亲的国家养老金维持生活。
This country depends/relies heavily on imports.
这个国家非常依赖进口。