在此种结构中leave 表示“让…… 处于,保持(某种状态、某地等)”其后通常接复合宾语。
其中宾补可由名词、形容词、副词、现在分词、介词短语等充当。其常见结构归纳如下:
1)leave + 宾语+形容词/副词/介词短语
Don’t leave the door open.别让门开着。
Violent disturbances have left at least ten people dead.
暴乱造成至少10人死亡,
Don’t leave the computer on when you go out.
你出去时别让计算机一直开着。
If you leave your arms out, they float free in zero gravity, often giving a sleeping astronaut the look of a funny ballet dancer
如果你张开双臂,它们会在零重力下自由漂浮,通常会让睡着的宇航员看起来像滑稽的芭蕾舞演员。
He hurried home, leaving his keys in the office.
他匆忙赶回家,把钥匙忘在了办公室。
He left me with a child to support.
他扔下我独自拉扯一个孩子。
Just as I got to the school gate,I realized I had left my book in the cafe.
(安徽高考单选)
就在我到达学校门口的时候,我意识到我把书忘在咖啡馆里了。
2)leave + 宾语+现在分词,表示使某人或某物一直处于某种状态。其中宾语与构成宾补的动词之间形成逻辑上的主谓关系。此处的现在分词表示的动作不一定是主语要达到的目的,即不一定是主语有意识的目的;如果是不定式,这个动作就是主语的有意识的目的。
The teacher left the students feeling very depressed.
这位老师使学生感到很沮丧。
The new left me wondering what would happen next.
这个消息使我想知道接着会发生什么事情。
The sad movie left me crying.
这部悲惨的电影使我哭了。
Hearing the bad news,he hurried home,leaving the book lying open on the table.
听到这个消息,她匆匆忙忙赶回家,结果把书翻开着落在桌子上。
Don’t leave me waiting outside too long别让我等太久。
Salter drove off, leaving Calendar surveying the scene.
索尔特开车走了,让卡伦德勘查现场,
Don't leave the water running while you brush your teeth.
刷牙时,不要让水一直开着流。
A tour boat turned over off the coast of Nicaragua, killing at least 13 people and leaving more passengers missing, official said.
官方称,一艘游船在尼加拉瓜海岸附近的一个小岛上突然转向,造成至少13人死亡,更多乘客失踪。
3)leave + 宾语+过去分词,表示宾语所处的状态或动作已经完成。其中宾语与构成宾补的动词之间形成逻辑上的动宾关系。
The bad weather left the project half finished.
糟糕的天气使工程只完成了一半。
Such difficult economic times may leave many adolescents confused about their roles in society.
如此困难的经济时期可能使许多青少年对他们在社会中的角色感到困惑。
I’m sorry, I’ve left some of your demands unsatisfied.
很抱歉,我没能满足的某些要求。
4)leave + 宾语+名词
His parents died two years ago, leaving him an orphan.
他的父母两年前去世了,他成了一个孤儿。
His father's death left him an orphan.
父亲的死让他成了一个孤儿。
The remote and backward living environment and the rich and complex life experiences left him a poet.
偏僻落后的生存环境和丰富复杂的人生经历使他成为一位诗人。
The child's innocent words set the crowd laughing out, leaving the emperor a target to tease.
孩子天真的话语引起了人群的大笑,让皇帝成为取笑对象。
Excessive mining has left this once densely populated town a desolate wasteland.
过度的采矿使这个曾经人口稠密的城镇变成了一片荒凉的不毛之地,
关于这个结构和leave+宾语+宾补(名词)的结构的区别本人另文论述。
5)leave sb./sth.+
此处不定式动作就是主语的有意识的目的。
I left him to paint the gate.
我们让他去油漆大门。
I left her to make the decision.
我认她做决定。
Don’t leave me to explain it to her.
不要让我给他解释这件事。
I leave you to attend to the matter.
我把这事交给你处理。
Leave him to do it himself.
让他自己去做。
The new students were just left to sink or swim.
学校完全让新生自生自灭。
From the teacher's point of view, children should be left to decide what to read and how to read.
从教师的角度来看,应该让孩子们自己决定读什么和怎么读。
He left me to do as he said, but I refused.
他要我按他的话做,我拒绝了。
When the mice were hungry, they opted to leave the company of other mice to get food.
当老鼠饿了的时候,它们选择离开同伴去寻找食物。(这个不定式动作不是由宾语发出,所以不是宾补成分。并且此处的leave是实义动词“离开”)
6)leave sb /sth+< clause>
Please leave the books where they were.
请把书放在原来的地方。
Leave the papers as they are.
别动那些文件。
They can destroy houses,but leave the furniture inside exactly where it was.
它们(龙卷风)能毁掉房子,却让房内的家具纹丝不动地留在原处。(高中必修3M3,外研版)
注意:exactly where it was这个从句作宾语the furniture inside的宾补。