1.介词后可接what,when,why等从句:如:
He begged forgiveness for what he had done.
他乞求饶恕他的所作所为。
We're expected to hustle and fight for what we want
我们应该为得到自己想要的而不择手段,奋力争取。
hustle /ˈhʌsl/
n.
匆忙;忙碌喧嚣
v.
催促(某人);推搡;(常指非法地)兜售,取得;强行;当妓女;猛推
She was always taking days off for what her colleagues considered phantom illnesses.
她老请病假,同事们认为她所说的病纯属无中生有。
phantom /ˈfæntəm/
n.
幻影;幽灵;幻象;幻觉;鬼魂;鬼
adj.
幻象的;虚幻的;幻觉的;幽灵似的;像鬼的
He expressed his appreciation for what he called Saudi Arabia's moderate and realistic oil policies.
他表示很感激沙特阿拉伯推行的被他称作稳健而务实的石油政策。
The crowd moved indoors for what were deemed the most desirable items.
人群为了被视为最值得拥有的物品涌入屋里。
Afterwards she was sorry for what she'd said.
后来她后悔说了那些话。
I’m sorry for what I said. 我为我说的话表示歉意。
I could only feel pity for what they were enduring.
对他们所受的苦难我唯有同情而已。
You owe him an apology for what you said.
你要为你所说的话向他道歉。
We shouldn't blame ourselves for what happened.
我们不应该为发生的事责怪自己。
The department denies responsibility for what occurred.
这个部门拒绝为所发生的事承担责任。
Stick up for what you believe.
你相信什么,就要捍卫它。
He pondered on when to give her the ring.
他斟酌着何时给她戒指。
It all depends on when we can get the tickets.
这得看我们什么时候能拿到机票。
People in the rest of the country celebrated independence even later, depending on when the news of Congress's action reached them.
该国其他地区的人们庆祝独立的时间甚至更晚,这要取决于有关国会决定的消息何时传到了他们那里。
She was quite explicit about why she had left.
她对自己离开的原因直言不讳。
Tessa was evasive about why she had not been at home that night.
特萨对她那天晚上不在家的原因避而不谈。
I often wonder about why she treated me like that. 我常常奇怪她为什么这样待我。
The two students were vague about why they had been late.
对于为什么迟到,这两名学生含糊其词。
They have some interesting ideas about why people are shy.
他们对人们为什么害羞有一些有趣的想法。
Have you ever thought about why that is so?
你有想过为什么会这样吗?
I have often talked about why we want to be mothers, but none of us can describe the urge exactly.
我经常谈到我们为什么想做母亲,但没有一个人能准确地描述这种冲动。
Look at what they are getting up to.
瞧他们要搞什么名堂。
I looked with pride at what I had achieved.
回顾过去的成就,我感到十分光荣。
I want to know at what point I break the speed limit and get a ticket.
我想知道我是在什么地方超速而受到处罚的。
This lady was genuinely surprised at what happened to her pet
这位女士对发生在自己宠物身上的事感到非常惊讶。
Sometimes he is decidedly uncomfortable at what he sees on the screen
他有时会对屏幕上出现的画面明显感到不自在。
2.介词后通常不能直接接that引导的从句,遇此情况应在介词后加上 the fact。
误:He must face up to that he is no longer young.
正:He must face up to the fact that he is no longer young.
他必须正视自己不再年轻的事实。
She had not yet become accustomed to the fact that she was a rich woman.
她还不太适应已经是一个富婆的事实。
The Republicans had better get used to the fact that in all probability, they are going to lose
共和党人最好习惯他们很有可能失败的事实。
Some insurers have wised up to the fact that their clients were getting very cheap insurance
一些保险公司已经意识到其客户所得到的保险金非常少。
I think that it comes down to the fact that people do feel very dependent on their automobile
我认为归根结底就是人们的确十分依赖汽车。
People should wake up to the fact that people with disabilities have got a vote as well.
人们应该认识到残疾人同样也享有投票权。
She had to face up to the fact that she would never walk again.
她必须敢于面对现实:她再也不能走路了。
He called attention to the fact that many files were missing.
他提请注意许多档案已经遗失这一事实。
Some people have left out of embarrassment at what's happened to them.
一些人已经由于为发生在自己身上的事感到难堪而离开了。
He was proud of the fact that he was a self-made man.
他为自己白手起家而自豪。
Voluntary work was particularly important in view of the fact that women were often forced to give up paid work on marriage.
鉴于妇女一结婚就常常被迫放弃有报酬工作的事实,义务工作尤其重要。
I am sensible of the fact that mathematics is not a popular subject.
我知道数学课不受欢迎。
Due to the fact that they did not read English, the prisoners were unaware of what they were signing.
这些囚犯由于看不懂英语,不知道自己在签什么。
I can console myself with the fact that I'm not alone
不是只有我一个人才这样,我可以用这一事实来安慰自己。
I will not take issue with the fact that we have a recession.
我不否认经济衰退的事实。
I was gradually being brought face to face with the fact that I had very little success.
我渐渐开始面对这个事实,那就是我几乎一事无成。
I could happily move back into a flat if it wasn't for the fact that I'd miss my garden
如果不是因为我会想念自己的花园的话,我会很乐意搬回公寓住。
Were it not for the fact that I saw it with my own eyes, I wouldn't believe it.
若非我那时亲眼看到,我是不会相信的。
The true cause lay in the fact that he would have everything his own way.
真正的原因在于他事事要随心所欲。
The source of the problem resides in the fact that the currency is too strong.
问题的根源在于货币过于坚挺。
3.不过,表示“除……外”的介词 except, but 后可直接跟 that 从句。如:
I know nothing about him except that he knocked about South Africa for a while.
我除了知道他在南非流浪过一段时间外对他一无所知。
I didn't tell him anything except that I needed the money.
我什么都没告诉他,只是说我需要钱。
This restaurant has nothing to recommend except that it's cheap.
这家饭馆除了价钱便宜之外,一无可取。
The current level of service will be maintained except that the evening 'Network Express' trains will be withdrawn.
除了“铁网特快”夜班列车将会停开外,目前的运营线路会保持下去。
This dress will do except that its price is a little too high.
这连衣裙还行,只是价格贵了一点。
I would lend you the money except that I don’t have any. 我是肯借给你钱的,只是我没有钱。
Nothing would satisfy that child but that I place her on my lap.
那孩子什么都不要,只要我把她抱在膝上。